Chicken Tortilla Soup is the perfect soup for a warm and cozy lunch or dinner, and comes together quite quickly. The flavours of the tomato, bit of heat, and lime are perfection! Make a double or triple batch to heat up again during the week, and then freeze for an easy meal later on! Enjoy!
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp chilli powder
• 1 tsp dried oregano
• 3 Bay Leaves
• 1 lb chicken breasts, (2 medium)
• 28 fl oz diced low or no sodium tomatoes
• 32 oz low/ no sodium chicken broth
• 1 cup or a 19 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed (depending on how many beans you would like)
• 1 cup corn (I used frozen)
• 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped, divided (reserve 1/4 of it for garnish)
• 1 lime, juiced
• 1 tsp salt, or to taste
Homemade Tortilla Strips
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 4 flour or corn tortillas, cut into skinny strips
Toppings for Soup
• 1 large avocado, diced
• 1 lime, cut into wedges, to serve
• Sour cream
Tortilla Strip Instructions
1. Warm 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add thinly sliced tortillas into pan and thoroughly mix in hot pan until tortillas are crisp. Stirring regularly so that they do not burn. Once crisp, turn off heat.
Chicken Tortilla Soup:
1. Preheat a pot with oil over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, garlic and chopped jalapeño and sauté until soft about 5-7 mins.
2. Add chicken breasts, corn, beans, chilli powder, cumin, diced tomatoes, salt, ¼ cup of cilantro and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and let simmer for at least 25 minutes.
3. When chicken is completely cooked, remove from the pot. Shred the chicken from the pot and shred it using 2 forks. Add shredded chicken, and ¼ c of cilantro to the soup. Simmer 5 minutes then add lime juice. Taste and adjust the seasonings to your liking.
4. Serve the soup with some tortilla strips, pieces of avocado, fresh cilantro and lime wedges.